Monday, June 25, 2007

Elephant bathing & white water rafting

Monday, June 25, 2007

The massage was great. Today we went canyoning. Tomorrow we leave for the Elephant Nature Park where we get to bath elephants and watch them in their natural habitat. Riding elephants is actually really brutal stuff, so this is a way to see the elephants up close and personal but respecting them at the same time.

Wednesday, we leave for a two day jungle trek up into the mountains to stay with a hill tribe for a night. On the way down Thursday we will do some white water rafting, and then we're back in Chiang Mai. So this is my last time on the internet for a few days. We have to bring one day pack for the next three days....I think we'll all be a bit stinky!!

LYB
mg


The Elephant Nature Park was one of my favorite days in Thailand. It was heartbreaking to see some of the injured elephants, but it's great to know that they have a safe home here. The woman who founded the ENP is trying to revolutionize elephant tourism in Thailand, and I really hope she succeeds. After watching videos of the training process and seeing the actual scars from elephants who have had people ride them, I encourage everyone to spread the word that riding elephants is not the way to go.




This is a picture of the white elephant at the park...even though she's actually pink! The white elephant is sacred in Thailand. They have to meet 7 specifications to be truly a "white elephant;" this one only has 5. But this is the animal the Thai people believe to give the king his power.



This is me after bathing the elephants!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mg-
It's hard to believe that your month in Thailand is almost over...I cannot wait to see you Monday morning!

love you MORE-
mom
xoxo

Anonymous said...

MAGGIE,
SOUNDS GREAT OVER THERE.WISH I WAS STILL YOUNG. HOW ABOUT A TRIP TO PHOENIX WHERE IT IS ABOUT 118 EVERYDAY. JUST GOT BACK. GOING TO SEE YOUR MOM IN MID JULY. CANNOT WAIT. I WILL TELL YOU ALL HER SECRETS.
LOVE, PATTY K.

Anonymous said...

Maggie,
Wow! Sounds like you are having a lot of really unique and exciting experiences. I'm a little jealous... :) Can't wait to hear all about it. I hope you are taking lots of good pics. How was the night in the hill tribe? Miss you lots.
Your oldest and MOST favorite cousin (shhh...don't tell Steph),
Krista :)

B Richter said...

Maggie,
Your mom has kept me posted on your adventures in Thailand. She has really missed you! I'm so happy that you got to take part in such an awesome experience! If I were your age, I'd be there riding those- did you say elephants?! It's probably not the same as when my kids rode one around in circles at the San Antonio Zoo. Aaron was only 4- he did look cute! ANYWAY, enjoy the rest of your adventure and have a safe trip home. Love ya-

B Richter