Sunday, January 13, 2008

Rain & wine

It's been rainy and cold here since we got here, so that's why I haven't gone around to take pictures of the city. It's absolutely stunning though. I can't wait until the sun shines again.

I'm starting to get close to my roommates. There are 7 of us in total, and last night we had some friends over for dinner. So we made pasta, eggplant and chicken parmesan. It was excellent! It's nice having the time to actually prepare dinner.

Another fact about Perugia: Legend has it that years ago the Perugians were revolting against the Pope when he put a tax on salt, so to defy him further they stopped using salt all together. Ever since then, they don't use it regularly to cook. There is a noticable difference in the flavor of saltless bread. You can buy "pane con sale" bread with salt in stores, but at restaurants they only serve saltless bread.

Tomorrow my roommates and I are going to the open market that they have every day. It's three floors of all fresh produce, so basically a gigantic farmer's market. Another thing that I have to get used to is that most stores are closed from 1-4 for lunch and "la pausa" which is like a siesta. Lunch is the big meal here, so everyone takes hours off for it. I'm also getting used to drinking wine at lunch and dinner. I tell my parents I'm sampling all the wines for when they get over here I'll know which brands are the good ones! (Don't you know they believe that!) In all honesty though, wine is an integral part of life over here.

And quite possibly the best part of Perugia I've discovered so far: There's a cheese store that sells the most fabulous cheeses, and the owner tells you what wine goes best with whatever cheese you buy. Exactly my kind of store!

4 comments:

LeftyMama said...

Hi, Maggie. I'm Lauren W's aunt and I found your blog through hers. I'm a big Italia-phile (if that's a word) and will be living vicariously through your reports here. I've not been to Perugia, but it sounds much like Siena, Lucca, and the other wonderful old towns I visited on my trip in 2005. LOVED the food, wine, and afternoon breaks. Did NOT love the knee injury I suffered from all the walking up & down steep cobblestone passages. Eagerly awaiting your next posts (and pictures)!

ccb said...

Hey, babycakes!
Sounds as if you're already studying really, really hard: wine, bread, wine, chocolate, gelato, wine, olive oil, wine...

You know that daddy tells people, when they ask, what you're studying while in Italy, "wine, olive oil & bread" (he knows his babygirl!).

As you know, I went to Austin today---sad to not see you---but I had a great time with Heather. We thought about you once or twice & I think we talked about you for maybe a minute...heehee! She & Kate are going to try to come see me so I won't be lonely (I really think they're coming to make sure our wine doesn't get 'stale').

POST PICTURES (please?)

Miss you...
LYM-
mom

ccb said...

mg-
YAY! THANKS FOR POSTING PHOTOS!

I especially love the one of you & Heather; what goofs....

I'm definitely bringing scuba gear, so I can dive into the olives...yummmm!

LYM,
mom

MaggieGentry said...

Hi Lauren's aunt! I'm so glad you're obsessed with Italy, as I am too! It's treating me really well so far. The lack of constant heat and persistent rain is starting to make everyone sick, but other than that...no complaints!

I'm going to Florence this weekend with a group of friends, so there will be plenty of pictures in the near future.

Love you too Mom.